Monday, October 5, 2009

Pay it forward for my Google babies

When I finally successfully got pregnant and gave birth to The Baby 1, I knew that I needed to somehow pay it forward.

You see I had trouble conceiving with the added misfortune of losing 2 babies. Naturally, I googled obsessively on 'miscarriages' and 'fertility' before I found research papers about 'hydrosalpinx', a fluid buildup in my blocked fallopian tube that I was certain was causing my infertility problems (for the full lowdown, see my previous post: 'How I finally got pregnant with miscarriage'.)

As you would probably have guessed by now, I finally got pregnant after I removed my faulty fallopian tube. I'm sure some OBGYNs would disagree about my theory on this but having a baby soon after I turned to a uni-fallopianian seemed too much of a coincidence considering my > 12 months conception failures and my miscarriage. Also, to strengthen my case, The Baby 2 was conceived at my very first attempt of trying to conceive him. So I was fertile after all!

Since I owed my lovely babies to Google as well as to my many faceless internet forum friends whom I sought solace in and who were so kind to open their hearts to me and advise me when I was so lost and frustrated in my attempts to have a baby, I know that I have to give back.

I have been posting on some forums in my attempt to pay it forward. I needed to get the word out on my story as I do not think that the 'hydrosalpinx' issue is well-understood by a lot of OBGYNs. Surely, not by the reaction of my first OBGYN who claimed that she never heard of the link between 'hydrosalpinx' and infertility and miscarriage! I truly believe that had I lived in a world without the internet or google, my two lovely babies would not be here right by my side.

I do hope that there would at least be one woman out there who would get inspired by my story or may know what to do now if she has a damaged tube(s). Hope my pay-it-forward efforts pays off. For those of you who have any pay-it-forward recommendation, please feel free to post in the comments column.

No comments:

Post a Comment